Slips, Trips & Falls

Fallen, Slipped or tripped?

Some of the most common accidents involve slips, trips or falls, and usually happen in public places, such as shops, schools, hospitals, restaurants, bars or on the street. Councils, shop owners, restaurants and bars owe you a duty of care to ensure their premises are safe and free from hazards. If you've been injured as a result of a slip or trip then we can help you claim compensation for your injuries.

The same applies for employers who must follow health and safety guidelines to prevent accidents.

Many tripping accidents occur on the street where potholes, protruding flag stones or damaged pavements and roads cause you to fall. Slipping on wet floors or debris in shops and supermarkets, unexpected obstacles, inadequate lighting or tripping over flooring or mats in the entrances of shops can cause you to trip and fall and injure yourself. In adverse weather conditions, shops and public places should clear ice or snow to ensure your safety.

Shops, local council's and other organisations have insurance in place to cover them and to pay out compensation if you have suffered accident or injury as a result. If a trip or slip accident was not your fault, you could be entitled to a personal injury award.

Employers must comply with health and safety law to prevent staff suffering a slip or trip at work. This means gathering any hazards or obstructions away from walkways, signposting wet floors, and ensuring areas are well lit. See our accidents at work tab for more details.

If you have slipped or tripped, it is important that you try and take a photograph of what caused you to trip or fall as soon as possible. This will be useful evidence for you claim.